Open Call - ADHA-Commissioner to the Commission on Dental Accreditation
The current ADHA-appointed Commissioner to the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) will complete her term at the October 2015 American Dental Association Annual Meeting. It is necessary for ADHA to select a successor; the term of appointment will become effective beginning at the 2016 ADA Annual Meeting and will end at the 2019 ADA Annual Meeting.
The Commissioner is required to make a significant time commitment to this role. Commissioners are expected to complete the web-based site visitor training manual, assume site visit and committee assignments, as well as attend Commission meetings. It is estimated that Commission activities require 10-15 days per year. Commission members must be accessible by both fax and electronic mail.
The Commission meets in late January and late July of each year. Commissioners may also serve on review committees, which meet two to three weeks prior to the Commission meeting. Full participation in these regular meetings is the single most important responsibility of a Commission member. Members of the Commission review agenda reports concerning accreditation-related topics. Commissioners must have a working knowledge of Commission policies, procedures and Standards. Preparation prior to these meetings is imperative. Careful review of meeting agendas and all accreditation and policy-related materials mailed in advance of each meeting is expected. Commissioners participate in making final decisions related to accreditation and policy issues; in-depth review and understanding of issues are essential. Prior to the CODA meeting, the ADHA Commissioner shall discuss current ADHA policies with the ADHA president.
The following is the timeline for appointment of a new Commissioner for ADHA:
- Fall 2014 - Appointee attends and participates in the mandatory new Commissioner, Appeals Board & Review Committee Member Training program in Chicago.
- Week of July 13-17, 2015 - New Commission Appointee observes appropriate Review Committee meeting in Chicago.
- August 6-7, 2015 - New Commission appointee observes the Commission meeting in Chicago.
- September-November, 2015 - New Commission appointee attends one site visit during this time period, dependent upon the schedule of the appointee and available spots for observers. (Please note that new Commission appointees who are already active site visitors need not attend a site visit.)
- Week of January 11-15, 2016 - First Review Committee meeting in Chicago in role as Commissioner, for those new Commissioners designated as Review Committee Chairs, or assigned to a Review Committee.
- February 4-5, 2016 - First Commission meeting in Chicago in role as Commissioner.
The ADHA Commissioner must meet the following qualifications:
- Possess all credentials required by the CODA accreditation consultants
- Baccalaureate or higher degree
- Background in educational methodology
- Accreditation experience through an affiliation with a dental hygiene education program that has completed a site visit
- Accreditation experience within the previous three (3) years
Commissioners should have served as an ADHA Board of Trustees member, as an ADHA council member or demonstrated active involvement at the national level within the last 3 years and should also:
- Be committed to ideas
- Be objective and decisive
- Be politically astute
- Possess strong leadership skills
Names and substantiating documentation must be submitted to the ADHA Division of Education for transmission to the Council on Education for review. Recommendations will be forwarded to the ADHA Board of Trustees. Final Commissioner selection will be approved at the post ADHA Annual Session Board of Trustees meeting in June of 2014.